By: Mohamed Sahr
In the bid of providing peaceful students atmosphere across all universities and colleges, the National Union of Sierra Leone Students (NUSS) has condemned all forms of faceless exhibition by some unknown persons with the pretext of being students of various tertiary institutions in a press notice on Tuesday 24th January 2023.
Mohamed Rex Bhonapha, President of the National Union of Sierra Leone Students said some misguided individuals had in a social media message requested students to aid and abet them to stage a demonstration against university and college authorities in respect of payment of Grant-In-Aid Backlogs. “Let these students know that their identity is in doubt, and NUSS frowns against such unknown plans,’’ President Bhonapha averred.
He urged students to channel their concerns through NUSS which serves as the legitimate students’ body, and assured that their voices would be heard. President Bhonapha said staging an indistinctive demonstration would not further their demand especially in a moment where the country has been relatively calm and quiet.
Mr. President disclosed that the National Union for Sierra Leone Students had been mindful of payment plans of backlogs for Grant-In-Aid students and Ex-Grantia to retired and redundant lecturers. He said progress had been made and the authorities’ in-charge would effectively make it available across the affected institutions.
“It is with my esteemed believe that they will act on this concern within a considerable time frame and we are hopeful that the appropriate stakeholders will act on this immediate national alarm and provide better remedy going forward’’, Prezo Bhonapha said. He implored the security sector especially the Inspector General of Police and other concerned authorities to act accordingly and for the faceless students to maintain compliance.
