Fire-Fighting Operation Over in Hong Kong Residential Complex, Rescue Work Ongoing

0
6

Flames are extinguished in Wang Fuk Court residential complex, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China, November 27, 2025.

The Hong Kong Fire Services Department (FSD) announced early on Friday that fire-fighting operations had been completed at the Wang Fuk Court residential complex.

Rescue teams are now focusing on conducting thorough searches of all affected buildings to ensure no one else remains trapped, the FSD said.

As of 5:30 a.m., CMG reporters confirmed that all visible flames had been extinguished, and authorities expect the search operation to be completed by 9 a.m. According to the FSD, a total of 117 ambulances were deployed to assist in the rescue efforts.

The blaze erupted on Wednesday afternoon in Wang Fuk Court, an affordable housing complex completed in 1983, which was home to around 4,000 residents in 1,984 units. At the time the fire broke out, all eight buildings were encased by green mesh and scaffolding due to a major renovation project. The fire started from the scaffolding outside one building and spread to six others.

Three men responsible for the renovations were arrested early on Thursday for suspected manslaughter, as a police investigation identified flammable materials covering the buildings as a possible cause for the rapid spread of fire.

Hong Kong’s Independent Commission Against Corruption on Thursday launched a probe into alleged corruption in the renovation project.

The HKSAR government has ordered a city-wide safety inspection of all scaffolding and construction materials used in renovation projects for buildings, according to Chief Executive of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) John Lee.

At an earlier press briefing, Lee said the HKSAR government is giving each fire-hit household a cash grant of 10,000 Hong Kong dollars (about $1,286).

The HKSAR government has set up nine emergency shelters for the residents. In the longer term, it will pool public and private resources to provide around 1,800 transitional housing units, Lee said.

Lee also outlined several additional measures as the city mourns those killed and affected by the fire, including the organization of a memorial event. Li said the government will cancel all celebratory events on the schedule, and government officials will avoid participating in public events considered unnecessary.

The death toll from the catastrophic fire has risen to 94.

SOURCE: CGTN News

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments